Bleacher Nation NFL 2023 Mock Draft: Jets Take a Swing at a High-Upside Tackle
The Bleacher Nation NFL 2023 Mock Draft will be a running mock draft that spans between now and round one of the NFL Draft. Each of the 31 picks (Miami forfeited their first-round pick due to tampering) will get a dedicated post. Here’s how it’ll work:
- Every pick in the Mock Draft gets its own post. We will do one or two picks per day.
- We will link back to previous posts with a running draft recap.
- This feature will not include trades and will cover the first round of the 2023 NFL Draft.
The Jets are on the clock in the Bleacher Nation NFL Mock Draft …
The Pick Is In
T Broderick Jones — Georgia
When will Aaron Rodgers become a Jet? It could be the same night they pick No. 13 overall in the 2023 NFL Draft. We know this: he will be a New York Jet. Right? (chuckles nervously) So, why not draft him some protection with the thirteenth pick?
With the Titans taking Paris Johnson Jr. at No. 11 in this mock draft, the Jets select Georgia’s, Broderick Jones.
Broderick Jones brings to the Jets some outside help up front with above-average movement skills, loose and agile feet, and violent quick-strike hands.
PFF calls Jones punch in pass protection “deadening,” and The Ringer calls him an “easy moving tackle with a big frame and sky-high upside.” If you’ve learned anything about me from this mock draft, I LOVE taking big swings at high-upside guys in the early portion of the first round. Jones fits that bill.
Jones’ punch sometimes misses wide. Sometimes his hands could be more consistent. And he really has a lack of experience (19 starts). But, if he lands his punch, it’s a rush-stopper. In the run game, Jones is a strong finisher and can pull and target defenders and connect on blocks in space just fine. A hat tip to his basketball days and his above-average movement skills.
Final Thoughts: The Jets’ defense was their strength last year. They’re adding Aaron Rodgers under center and getting Breece Hall back. Adding a high-upside tackle like Broderick Jones lengthens the list of reasons to keep an eye on the Jets in 2023.
Bleacher Nation’s 2023 NFL Mock Draft
- Carolina Panthers (via CHI) — QB C.J. Stroud, Ohio State
- Houston Texans — QB Bryce Young, Alabama
- Arizona Cardinals — EDGE Will Anderson Jr., Alabama
- Indianapolis Colts — QB Anthony Richardson, Florida
- Seattle Seahawks (via DEN) — DT Jalen Carter, Georgia
- Detroit Lions (via LAR) — EDGE Tyree Wilson, Texas Tech
- Las Vegas Raiders — QB Will Levis, Kentucky
- Atlanta Falcons — EDGE Myles Murphy, Clemson
- Chicago Bears (via CAR) — CB Devon Witherspoon, Illinois
- Philadelphia Eagles (via NO) — DT Calijah Kancey, Pitt
- Tennessee Titans — T Paris Johnson Jr., Ohio State
- Houston Texans (via CLE) — WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Ohio State
- New York Jets — T Broderick Jones, Georgia
- New England Patriots
- Green Bay Packers
- Washington Commanders
- Pittsburgh Steelers
- Detroit Lions
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Seattle Seahawks
- Los Angeles Chargers
- Baltimore Ravens
- Minnesota Vikings
- Jacksonville Jaguars
- New York Giants
- Dallas Cowboys
- Buffalo Bills
- Cincinnati Bengals
- New Orleans Saints (via SF)
- Philadelphia Eagles
- Kansas City Chiefs