Bleacher Nation NFL 2023 Mock Draft: Steelers Continue the Run at Cornerback
The Bleacher Nation NFL 2023 Mock Draft will be a running mock draft that spans between now and round one of the NFL Draft. Each of the 31 picks (Miami forfeited their first-round pick due to tampering) will get a dedicated post. Here’s how it’ll work:
- Every pick in the Mock Draft gets its own post. We will do one or two picks per day.
- We will link back to previous posts with a running draft recap.
- This feature will not include trades and will cover the first round of the 2023 NFL Draft.
The Steelers are on the clock in the Bleacher Nation NFL Mock Draft …
The Pick Is In
CB Joey Porter Jr. — Penn State
The Steelers could use another cornerback, and Mike Tomlin can take one with a name that Steelers fans will be familiar with. Joey Porter Jr. is the son of former Steelers linebacker Joey Porter (1999-2006) and a local product. Porter Jr. played at North Catholic High School (north of Pittsburgh) and North Allegheny High in Pittsburgh before playing for Penn State.
Porter was a four-star recruit heading to Penn State and the fourth-ranked cornerback in Pennsylvania. He was first-team All-Big Ten and second-team All-American in 2022, logging 114 tackles, 21 passes defended, and an interception for the Nittany Lions.
Porter is tall, lanky, and oversized for a traditional cornerback with long arms and wingspan. His size makes him an excellent press coverage defender. Porter uses his “go-go-gadget” arms to reroute receivers off of the line of scrimmage and take them toward the sideline. His jams at the line disrupt routes and frustrates receivers.
Where he lacks in the acceleration department downfield, he makes up for it with great building speed. The Atheltic’s Dane Brugler says that: “Porter has clear bust potential with his undisciplined play style and unbalanced change of direction, but he has intriguing matchup potential in the NFL because of his aggressive length and body quickness.”
Final Thoughts: Porter is a long, physical corner with rare length; he’s stingy in coverage and makes plays on the ball. Porter would be a solid fit for Mike Tomlin and the Steelers at No. 17 and becomes the third corner in the last four picks and the fifth in the first round.
Bleacher Nation’s 2023 NFL Mock Draft
- Carolina Panthers (via CHI) — QB C.J. Stroud, Ohio State
- Houston Texans — QB Bryce Young, Alabama
- Arizona Cardinals — EDGE Will Anderson Jr., Alabama
- Indianapolis Colts — QB Anthony Richardson, Florida
- Seattle Seahawks (via DEN) — DT Jalen Carter, Georgia
- Detroit Lions (via LAR) — EDGE Tyree Wilson, Texas Tech
- Las Vegas Raiders — QB Will Levis, Kentucky
- Atlanta Falcons — EDGE Myles Murphy, Clemson
- Chicago Bears (via CAR) — CB Devon Witherspoon, Illinois
- Philadelphia Eagles (via NO) — DT Calijah Kancey, Pitt
- Tennessee Titans — T Paris Johnson Jr., Ohio State
- Houston Texans (via CLE) — WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Ohio State
- New York Jets — T Broderick Jones, Georgia
- New England Patriots — CB Christian Gonzalez, Oregon
- Green Bay Packers — TE Dalton Kincaid, Utah
- Washington Commanders — CB Deonte Banks, Maryland
- Pittsburgh Steelers — CB Joey Porter Jr., Penn State
- Detroit Lions
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Seattle Seahawks
- Los Angeles Chargers
- Baltimore Ravens
- Minnesota Vikings
- Jacksonville Jaguars
- New York Giants
- Dallas Cowboys
- Buffalo Bills
- Cincinnati Bengals
- New Orleans Saints (via SF)
- Philadelphia Eagles
- Kansas City Chiefs